Thursday, June 9, 2011

Beef Breeding Services

Before going to the Rocky Show, I got the chance to go to the Queensland Beef Breeding Services, or in other words..."the Australian Genex".  Very cool, I went with Wendy Cole to drop off a semen tank and ended up taking a tour of the facility!  


Here are the similarities...

Like us, they use large nitrogen tanks to store semen for customers and research,etc.  However, the tanks pictured here are the ONLY large tanks they have.  These tanks are quite a bit smaller than the tanks we use at the Baton Rouge Genex, but we do have a few small ones in distribution. 
Wonder where the rest of it is stored....

They use a "working pot" or "holding tank" to work in.

And obviously a nitrogen tank.

Here are the differences...

Ahh, here is where they store all of the other semen!  Two sheds full of semen tanks lined neatly in alphabetical order by customer or farm name.  I learned that it is much cheaper for the customer to leave their semen tank at the facility and only to pick it up when they need it and bring it back when finished.  Can you imagine filling ALL of these tanks with a hose?  Yikes..


Instead of using a funnel and bucket to quick fill the tanks, they use a nitrogen diffuser.  Much faster and very easy to use.

 I thought this was a cool, funny looking tank. 
 The cool part it that it is only for horse semen.


What you will not find here: CANES!  Who would have thought?  Instead of "caning" the semen, they use small goblets.



2 comments:

  1. Awesome! You are doing such a great job with the blog I almost feel like I'm there! Love all the pics especially the "Genex" pics too, sure doesn't look like they have the 1 million+ units that we do tho! Just can't get used to you not being here but I am so glad you are having a blast, I left J a cupcake on his door! He didn't tell me it was his bday until yesterday, of course this week has been the week from h@#*, I had to take your advice SEVERAL times and just stop and BREATHE LOL! OH and I just love you in that hat! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Thanks, Ms. Ida! Most of the units that they have there are stored in the customers' personal tanks, so very different than us! Lol. Glad that you made Jeff a cupcake, since I can't!! I wish I could be there to help out because I'm sure its a mad-house with it being summertime! Hope everything is well, keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete